A fielder positioned between second and third base.‘I hacked a ball to shortstop’
- ‘The batter hit a lazy fly ball which the shortstop easily reached just behind second base.’
- ‘We have five shortstops in the minor leagues who are going to be major league players.’
- ‘You see a lot of guys going from shortstop to second base in the big leagues, but you never really see the opposite.’
- ‘I started as a shortstop and was second in fielding and hitting in the League.’
- ‘Writers no longer take note of the assists credited to a shortstop or second baseman.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.