Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A typist qualified to take and transcribe shorthand.
assistant, personal assistant, pa, administrator, clerk, clerical assistant, amanuensis, girl friday, man fridayView synonyms
- ‘He left school at 14 with no qualifications and trained as a shorthand typist, a common role for men in the early 20th century.’
- ‘For the past three years I had led a very prosaic, dull existence as a shorthand typist in a London office, and at the time of my leaving I had a fairly responsible job, being in charge of three copy typists who were junior to me.’
- ‘In her late twenties my mother became (thanks to the Pitman School) a shorthand typist.’
- ‘He trained as a shorthand typist before joining paper manufacturers James R Crompton and Brothers in the mid-1930s, around the time he married his wife Florence.’
- ‘Getting writer's cramp in the midst of What Maisie Knew, Henry James hired a shorthand typist and his style changed accordingly.’
- ‘After leaving school at 15 she joined Barclays in 1954 as a shorthand typist.’
- ‘Preston-born Mr Etherington left school at 14 and trained as a shorthand typist before becoming a lawyer's clerk.’
- ‘Born in Leeds, Gladys spent most of her working life as a shorthand typist before finally retiring at the age of 67, having lived in various parts of the country, including Harrogate and Trowbridge.’
- ‘Carole, a former shorthand typist and clerk at Bury Brothers accountants in Accrington, was with her husband David, son Richard, 14, and his friend.’
- ‘They wouldn't have been able to entrap their victims or dispose of their bodies without a car, a relative luxury for a stock control clerk and a shorthand typist in those days.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.