One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fat used for making pastry.
cut, trim, crop, haircutView synonyms
- ‘Trans-unsaturated fatty acids, or trans fats, are artificially produced solid fats used in shortening and margarine, baked goods, and the oils used to cook French fries and other fast food.’
- ‘Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces, and drop onto flour.’
- ‘In a stock pot, melt the lard or shortening over medium heat.’
- ‘When dry, polish with a small amount of shortening on a paper towel.’
- ‘Supplies of white flour, granulated sugar, and cheap shortening such as margarine all helped to make cake baking popular.’
- ‘Researchers also added different amounts of ascorbic acid, salt, sugar, milk, water, and vegetable shortening, along with active dry yeast.’
- ‘Mix the suet and vegetable shortening with some of the flour.’
- ‘Use Shari's organic pumpkin filling and a prepared whole-wheat crust, or make your own using non-hydrogenated shortening in your traditional recipe.’
- ‘I gathered up all of the ingredients for two batches of dough: flour, vegetable shortening, active dry yeast, eggs, sugar, and a bit of salt.’
- ‘Place chocolate and shortening in the top half of a double boiler or in a metal bowl that has been placed on top of a saucepan filled with hot water.’
- ‘Fried seafood gets poor scores because most restaurants do their frying in hydrogenated vegetable shortening, not vegetable oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.