Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Crumbly pastry made with flour, fat, and a little water, typically used for pies, flans, and tarts.
crumbly, crispy, crisp, brittle, friableView synonyms
- ‘Arrange the prunes on top and cover with shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘Different pastries perform different functions, but whether it is puff, shortcrust or filo, first impressions count.’
- ‘Organic fillings range from smoked haddock to sausages in onion gravy or simply traditional pork encased in good crumbly shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘If good shortcrust had been used instead of filo, the same ingredients could have shone.’
- ‘Line a large 9-inch pie plate or flan dish with shortcrust pastry, oatmeal pastry or potato.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.