One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Crumbly pastry made with flour, fat, and a little water, typically used for pies, flans, and tarts.
crumbly, crispy, crisp, brittle, friableView synonyms
- ‘Organic fillings range from smoked haddock to sausages in onion gravy or simply traditional pork encased in good crumbly shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘Arrange the prunes on top and cover with shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘Line a large 9-inch pie plate or flan dish with shortcrust pastry, oatmeal pastry or potato.’
- ‘If good shortcrust had been used instead of filo, the same ingredients could have shone.’
- ‘Different pastries perform different functions, but whether it is puff, shortcrust or filo, first impressions count.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.