Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Crumbly pastry made with flour, fat, and a little water, typically used for pies, flans, and tarts.
crumbly, crispy, crisp, brittle, friableView synonyms
- ‘If good shortcrust had been used instead of filo, the same ingredients could have shone.’
- ‘Arrange the prunes on top and cover with shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘Line a large 9-inch pie plate or flan dish with shortcrust pastry, oatmeal pastry or potato.’
- ‘Organic fillings range from smoked haddock to sausages in onion gravy or simply traditional pork encased in good crumbly shortcrust pastry.’
- ‘Different pastries perform different functions, but whether it is puff, shortcrust or filo, first impressions count.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.