Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘She baked mouth-watering cakes, mini chocolate muffins and millionaire shortcake to keep everyone happy.’
- ‘The boys' superb home-made vanilla ice-cream was creamy and lush, while the caramel shortcake was a cracking example.’
- ‘Blanched almonds, cloves, and rosewater may enhance their appearance and flavour; and their texture is like shortbread (or shortcake in N. America).’
2North American A rich dessert made from short pastry and topped with fruit and whipped cream.
- ‘I preferred berries on shortcake with a big scoop of ice cream, but I had to admit those melons were sweet.’
- ‘Spoon sliced berries and any juices over shortcake.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.