One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Blanched almonds, cloves, and rosewater may enhance their appearance and flavour; and their texture is like shortbread (or shortcake in N. America).’
- ‘She baked mouth-watering cakes, mini chocolate muffins and millionaire shortcake to keep everyone happy.’
- ‘The boys' superb home-made vanilla ice-cream was creamy and lush, while the caramel shortcake was a cracking example.’
2North American A rich dessert made from short pastry and topped with fruit and whipped cream.
- ‘I preferred berries on shortcake with a big scoop of ice cream, but I had to admit those melons were sweet.’
- ‘Spoon sliced berries and any juices over shortcake.’
Late 16th century: see shortbread.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.