Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Trousers reaching only to the knee, as worn typically by young boys.‘it happened twenty years ago, when you were still in short trousers’
- ‘He had on that day managed to make a last minute purchase of a pair of short trousers to be properly attired for the final match.’
- ‘I felt like a little boy in short trousers, but I said, ‘I'm sure you're right, but I want to do this - I think this is important.’’
- ‘When Harry Flashman was but a little lad in short trousers he used to be given ‘compositions’ for homework.’
- ‘The fashionable policy of ‘inclusion’ is popular only among theorists who haven't been in a classroom since they wore short trousers.’
- ‘Barely out of short trousers, Clark left home at 13 for a place at the prestigious Royal Ballet School in London.’
- ‘Before long the sitting room at the Moran's London Road home was bursting at the seams with donated short trousers, skirts, shirts, caps and berets.’
- ‘There was even an Australian cartoon superhero, named Conehead, who wore a cape, short trousers, and a dunces-cap.’
- ‘One of my mother's most treasured photographs is of me in short trousers, blazer and tie on my first day at school.’
- ‘This writer, however, returned to a place that was a lovely experience when we wore short trousers.’
- ‘In Georgian times men wore short trousers and he changed all that in the 19th Century.’
- ‘Barely out of short trousers, Andrew was acting terribly grown-up.’
- ‘Tiger has known this since he was dressed in short trousers.’
- ‘He wore short trousers for his big adventure: an invitation from Real Madrid to trial with them.’
- ‘But I was in short trousers and much too young to go.’
- ‘It was being presented by a rosy-cheeked twelve year old in short trousers!’
- ‘He was an archivist while still in short trousers in Dorset.’
- ‘Will skirts be measured for length or short trousers rendered compulsory?’
- ‘Maths tutor Mr Green, 59, said: ‘I saw a bare chested youth with short trousers running away.’’
- ‘When they started school together nearly 50 years ago it was in short trousers.’
- ‘I went up to my room and began to look through my wardrobe for something to wear as currently I was wearing a long t-shirt and short trousers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.