One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inability to see things clearly unless they are relatively close to the eyes, owing to the focusing of rays of light by the eye at a point in front of the retina.Also called myopia
- ‘Two teams of American optometrists independently tested the association between short sight and nursery lighting.’
- ‘The hospital will offer new treatments not currently available on the NHS to treat conditions that lead to blindness in the elderly, and treatments for short sight.’
- ‘After an eye test, a two-year-old child was found to have short sight and power of the glass to be worn is - 12.’
- ‘My father had short sight and lost his eyesight due to glaucoma.’
- ‘‘Laser vision correction has been developed mainly for short sight and isn't as effective for long sight,’ he said.’
- ‘‘If you have short sight, you can get special leave,’ he snapped.’
- ‘Defective vision due to short sight or long sight can be corrected by wearing spectacles, contact lenses or by LASIK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.