One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Britishanother term for floating rib
2short ribsNorth American A narrow cut of beef containing the ends of the ribs near to the breastbone.
- ‘The slow-braised lamb shanks and short ribs we've tasted in restaurants lately have inspired us to follow suit.’
- ‘Curiously, given Samuelsson's genius with fish, the meat dishes, like beef short ribs and an inventive rib-eye carpaccio, are much better.’
- ‘The most comforting winter meal on the planet has to be braised beef short ribs.’
- ‘They're always happy to see short ribs on the menu (although calf's liver is better), and the phrase ‘potato pancake’ is music to their ears.’
- ‘I had ordered the short ribs and Alan ordered the chicken.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.