One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Britishanother term for floating rib
2short ribsNorth American A narrow cut of beef containing the ends of the ribs near to the breastbone.
- ‘The most comforting winter meal on the planet has to be braised beef short ribs.’
- ‘They're always happy to see short ribs on the menu (although calf's liver is better), and the phrase ‘potato pancake’ is music to their ears.’
- ‘Curiously, given Samuelsson's genius with fish, the meat dishes, like beef short ribs and an inventive rib-eye carpaccio, are much better.’
- ‘I had ordered the short ribs and Alan ordered the chicken.’
- ‘The slow-braised lamb shanks and short ribs we've tasted in restaurants lately have inspired us to follow suit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.