One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list of selected candidates from which a final choice is made; a shortlist.‘the club's chief executive has compiled a short leet of five names’
- ‘Cast your mind back to the Open at Carnoustie, now restored as an Open venue and, until the short leet is refined, still technically a bidder for the Ryder Cup.’
- ‘It was Donald and his five nominees who whittled down the 12 original candidates to design the building to a short leet of five, of whom four were based overseas.’
- ‘Pat Nevin, the Fir Park club's chief executive, who has compiled a short leet of five names, admitted last night that a fresh approach may be the Motherwell board's preferred option.’
- ‘Jocky was not, of course, on the Hampden short leet.’
- ‘So the grand total is £100,000, lavished on people who, in a real parliament, would mostly be lucky to make the short leet for janitor.’
From short + leet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.