Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Arithmetical division in which the quotient is written directly without a succession of intermediate workings.
- ‘Since the standard algorithm has already been introduced, the treatment of short division is easily grasped.’
- ‘To do this by short division we make the long division symbol upside down and carry the remainders like this.’
- ‘With short division, you divide, multiply, and subtract in your head.’
- ‘I showed the pupil how to use short division to find the answer.’
- ‘It is possible to use short division for problems having more than one digit in the divisor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.