Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Arithmetical division in which the quotient is written directly without a succession of intermediate workings.
- ‘I showed the pupil how to use short division to find the answer.’
- ‘Since the standard algorithm has already been introduced, the treatment of short division is easily grasped.’
- ‘It is possible to use short division for problems having more than one digit in the divisor.’
- ‘With short division, you divide, multiply, and subtract in your head.’
- ‘To do this by short division we make the long division symbol upside down and carry the remainders like this.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.