[mass noun] Arithmetical division in which the quotient is written directly without a succession of intermediate workings.
- ‘Since the standard algorithm has already been introduced, the treatment of short division is easily grasped.’
- ‘To do this by short division we make the long division symbol upside down and carry the remainders like this.’
- ‘With short division, you divide, multiply, and subtract in your head.’
- ‘I showed the pupil how to use short division to find the answer.’
- ‘It is possible to use short division for problems having more than one digit in the divisor.’