One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounStock Market
The buying in of stocks or other securities or commodities that have been sold short, typically to avoid loss when prices move upwards.
- ‘This market condition develops because short covering and not fundamental demand is fueling the rising price trend.’
- ‘‘It's nothing more than a bit of short covering,’ said David Thwaites, European strategist at BNP Paribas in London.’
- ‘Actually, we suspect short covering and derivative trading were likely major factors fueling the rally.’
- ‘Such short covering becomes a source of extra demand for a stock, pushing the price up.’
- ‘This news spilled over into other markets today, forcing short covering in copper and other metals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.