One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in field hockey) a penalty hit taken from a spot on the goal line relatively close to the goalposts (but not within ten yards).
- ‘They were awarded numerous short corners of which two came extremely close to being converted.’
- ‘As the first half drew to a close, Lytham won a short corner that was well worked to create a clear shot from which they scored.’
- ‘Despite winning a number of short corners, Doncaster were shut out by James Riley and sweeper Luke Griggs in textbook fashion.’
- ‘All three Sefton goals were scored from short corners.’
- ‘Pakistan had scored just 6 goals from the 34 short corners awarded during the Australian tour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.