Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in field hockey) a penalty hit taken from a spot on the goal line relatively close to the goalposts (but not within ten yards).
- ‘All three Sefton goals were scored from short corners.’
- ‘Pakistan had scored just 6 goals from the 34 short corners awarded during the Australian tour.’
- ‘They were awarded numerous short corners of which two came extremely close to being converted.’
- ‘As the first half drew to a close, Lytham won a short corner that was well worked to create a clear shot from which they scored.’
- ‘Despite winning a number of short corners, Doncaster were shut out by James Riley and sweeper Luke Griggs in textbook fashion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.