Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A haircut in which the hair is cut short at the back and the sides.‘his hairdresser said tactfully that short back and sides was no longer an unquestioned good thing’
- ‘Until recently long-haired men risked being picked off the street for an obligatory short back and sides.’
- ‘It's not a sensible short back and sides, but he's definitely had a good six inches off the end of his ponytail.’
- ‘A health check means visiting the doctor's surgery, not casually flicking through Men's Health magazine, while waiting for a short back and sides.’
- ‘Police then described him as being well-spoken, aged between 30 and 40, with a short back and sides and light brown or blond hair.’
- ‘Thankfully Eamon, sporting a short back and sides, was a rare sign of normality amid this world of mind-boggling hair sculpting.’
- ‘He was of slim to medium build with short back and sides and dark hair brushed forwards.’
- ‘I don't want anything fancy, just a simple short back and sides, but cut properly.’
- ‘After all, as one of the wealthiest businessmen in New York surely he knows a barber who would give him a proper short back and sides.’
- ‘Asking Eileen Drewery for a short back and sides wasn't my best move.’
- ‘When I had my hair cut yesterday, I asked for short back and sides instead of a style cut.’
- ‘He already had the short back and sides and the mousy blonde hair.’
- ‘Instead, I give a trim and do the complete short back and sides in spring when there is enough new growth to keep things interesting.’
- ‘‘They always say ‘never again’ afterwards,’ attested Margaret as she reached for the mirror to let me bear witness to the short back and sides.’
- ‘So now I pay $12 to a butcher in an alley for a neat short back and sides.’
- ‘‘Men still mostly want a short back and sides but I can do the shaved heads that some of them want as well,’ he said.’
- ‘The well-spoken white male, aged between 30 and 40, and around 5 feet 6 inches tall, with a short back and sides and light brown or blond hair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.