One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(especially of a vehicle or missile) only able to be used or be effective over short distances.‘short-range nuclear weapons’
- ‘The aircraft has seven wing-mounted weapon stations, including missile launchers for short-range air-to-air missiles.’
- ‘In this case, the guidance system in existence for their short-range missiles is more than adequate.’
- ‘More likely, the report goes on, they were intended as casings for short-range rockets.’
- ‘Well, I think it's been pretty clearly shown that it was a short-range missile.’
- ‘In the 1980s Asian armies were buying armored vehicles and short-range aircraft to control internal threats.’
2Of or over a short period of future time.‘short-range schemes’‘short-range forecasting’
- ‘Increasing persistence with a number of short-range goals can help break up periods of boredom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.