One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of a drug) having effects that only last for a short time.
- ‘Nicotine is a short-acting drug that can be eliminated from the body relatively quickly.’
- ‘Standard protocols are difficult to develop because propofol is a short-acting medication.’
- ‘A few minutes later, the effects of the short-acting anesthetic and muscle relaxant begin to wear off.’
- ‘This occurs even when children are treated with short-acting medications during school hours.’
- ‘A common problem with short-acting drugs is that the child may experience a rebound effect when the medicine wears off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.