One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Conversation about one's occupation or business at an informal or social occasion.‘they kept off further shop talk until they were having coffee’
- ‘Autobiography prevails over shop talk, and every voice flickers with creative passion.’
- ‘There's only one place in any large corporation where shop talk is banned, where rank means nothing and where the persecuted minority gather for regular support: The Smoking Room.’
- ‘When I was a kid I loved listening to all the shop talk around the breakfast table and dinner table.’
- ‘I turned, preparing myself for more shop talk, then stopped and stared.’
- ‘And now, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to stop with the shop talk while we eat.’
- ‘Finally, there is plenty of shop talk in his conversations to keep film students and film buffs interested.’
- ‘After another hour or two of shop talk and I was positively exhausted and dropped into bed like a sack of potatoes, only to wake up before 4 am, unable to sleep.’
- ‘The son of a carpenter, Shumsky preferred the company of painters and scientists to those whose conversation was simply violinists' shop talk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.