Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person elected by workers, for example in a factory, to represent them in dealings with management.
chairperson, chairman, chairwoman, president, convener, spokesperson, spokesman, spokeswoman, leader, mc, master of ceremonies, mistress of ceremoniesView synonyms
- ‘However, a shop steward needs the group leader's permission to move.’
- ‘I was considered to be a promising worker at Harris Scarfe and a good shop steward.’
- ‘Down the road at Vauxhall car plant a shop steward with a megaphone addressed a factory gate meeting.’
- ‘Jason Brown, a union shop steward, said the walk was not industrial action but rather a silent protest.’
- ‘His father, Billy, was a shop steward who regularly took him on union marches.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.