One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person elected by workers, for example in a factory, to represent them in dealings with management.
chairperson, chairman, chairwoman, president, convener, spokesperson, spokesman, spokeswoman, leader, mc, master of ceremonies, mistress of ceremoniesView synonyms
- ‘However, a shop steward needs the group leader's permission to move.’
- ‘Jason Brown, a union shop steward, said the walk was not industrial action but rather a silent protest.’
- ‘His father, Billy, was a shop steward who regularly took him on union marches.’
- ‘I was considered to be a promising worker at Harris Scarfe and a good shop steward.’
- ‘Down the road at Vauxhall car plant a shop steward with a megaphone addressed a factory gate meeting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.