One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female shop assistant.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘It was hard to know why the shop girl was so amused by my behaviour.’
- ‘We also discover that Terry, whose wife absconded with his best man, has turned for clandestine consolation to a naively trusting shopgirl, Nuala, and a dance-loving hairdresser, Breda.’
- ‘The shop girl said her parents owned the stand and kept several dozen more skins back at their house, but that she was unwilling to take a stranger there.’
- ‘The woman dressed like an Edwardian ingénue and talked like a mystic, but her accent was what you would hear from some lower-class British shopgirl.’
- ‘As she fumbled for her wallet the shop girl noticed a remote control for a television set in the customer's bag.’
- ‘Early on she worked as a shopgirl in a jewelry store on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence.’
- ‘She plays a young shop girl at Saks Fifth Avenue.’
- ‘Danes plays Mirabelle Buttersfield, a shopgirl and aspiring artist who works in the glove department of Saks Fifth Avenue in LA.’
- ‘In the film she is a shop girl who becomes involved with Kane - a relationship which is used to destroy his political ambitions and his marriage.’
- ‘On each site young women - shopgirls, nursemaids, typists - operated the fire control equipment while men fired the guns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.