Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female shop assistant.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘She plays a young shop girl at Saks Fifth Avenue.’
- ‘It was hard to know why the shop girl was so amused by my behaviour.’
- ‘As she fumbled for her wallet the shop girl noticed a remote control for a television set in the customer's bag.’
- ‘In the film she is a shop girl who becomes involved with Kane - a relationship which is used to destroy his political ambitions and his marriage.’
- ‘The shop girl said her parents owned the stand and kept several dozen more skins back at their house, but that she was unwilling to take a stranger there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.