Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of a workshop or factory where production as distinct from administrative work is carried out.‘working conditions on the shop floor’
workshop, workroom, plant, factory, works, manufacturing complex, industrial unit, business unit, mill, foundry, yard, garage, atelier, studioView synonyms
- ‘A spokesman for Portakabin said approximately 40 jobs would be axed from the shop floor and eight from the offices.’
- ‘But it's understood the firm will look to shed about 50 jobs from the shop floor with the remaining workers to go from offices.’
- ‘The former warehouse operative said she was unable to work properly and was moved from the shop floor to provide oral training to new starters.’
- ‘They say Leighton has a knack of gaining the respect of employees, particularly at the shop floor end of the businesses he is involved with.’
- ‘Some of the mostly male workers on the shop floor looked at their feet and avoided eye contact, she recalls.’
- ‘I've always been the person on the shop floor - I've always been hands-on.’
- ‘In particular, the production process on the shop floor of clothing firms is often intensive.’
- ‘If he is still working, he is likely to be walking around the shop floor, learning about the company from the bottom up, as always.’
- ‘He appears to feel no responsibility to his shop-floor employees, most of them parents themselves.’
- ‘Is the shop floor worker to dictate to his manager what should be produced?’
- ‘Most of the 500 shop floor workers are in the TGWU union, who narrowly voted for the pay offer.’
- ‘I cannot see my staff on the shop floor because it is so busy.’
- ‘They have lost patience with politicians and have simply gone ahead with their own reform plans - in the boardroom and on the shop floor.’
- ‘Their first week is likely to be made up of induction training in the mornings and gaining product knowledge on the shop floor in the afternoons.’
- ‘Believe it or not, this has been voted on and recommended for acceptance by the stewards' committee without ever asking the shop floor workers.’
- ‘Miles Hilton, 53, of Huncoat, is the shop floor representative and has worked at the firm for 30 years.’
- ‘The incidence of sexual harassment is no higher in the world of finance than it is in the factory floor, the shop floor or the home.’
- ‘Cast your eye around the office or across the shop floor.’
- ‘This meant there were fewer people doing more, and working longer hours, in intrinsically insecure jobs from top floor to the shop floor.’
- ‘My purpose is to examine how we might more successfully understand the shop floor politics of workers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.