One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male shop assistant.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘Shortly after this a man was marched back into the store and put into a small staff only room, guarded by a security guard and one of the beefier shop boys.’
- ‘What an experience that was for a little shop boy who was suddenly walking on the same fairways as Arnie Palmer and Jack Nicklaus.’
- ‘To top it all, this form of self-medication is continued once or twice a day as per the instructions of a medical shop boy who is either a standard five or eight dropout, and, by power of observation, assumes the role of a medical practitioner.’
- ‘But I went on, waving my hand impatiently before my face and watching a white man who stood outside one of the stores with his hands on his hips, while a shop boy prised open a big packing case.’
- ‘My first job was as a Saturday morning shop boy in the village ironmonger's.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.