Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who serves customers in a shop.
vendor, retailer, purveyor, shopkeeper, supplier, stockist, trader, merchant, dealerView synonyms
- ‘Then he asked to see another and the shop assistant put the first one on the floor behind the counter.’
- ‘When he was five, his parents bought him to a piano shop in Wimbledon to buy him a real piano and when the shop assistant heard him, she called me and said I should see him.’
- ‘I looked straight at the shop assistant behind the check-out.’
- ‘A robber held a screwdriver to a terrified shop assistant's throat as his accomplice stole money from the store's safe and till.’
- ‘The shop assistant continued to assist Molly, while I looked after Elsie.’
- ‘Rose is their Turkish shop assistant, very nice, very cute.’
- ‘He reached into his pocket as if to get his wallet, but instead pulled out a kitchen knife which he pointed at the shop assistant and shouted at him to hand over all the money.’
- ‘The shop assistant stood by the door, astonished at the number of people taking an sudden interest in his products and at those still trying to enter behind me.’
- ‘Mr Edward outlined how Green forced a shop assistant to hand over £45 in Grosvenor Terrace, Clifton.’
- ‘A sapphire necklace worn on the Titanic by a shop assistant eloping with her employer has been loaned to an exhibition in Yorkshire.’
- ‘Also receiving a silver medal was Richard Sowter of Bingley, who saw a man holding a large knife towards a shop assistant while he took cash from a till.’
- ‘A drunken shop assistant who terrified a York policewoman with a starter pistol has been jailed for 21 months.’
- ‘The female shop assistant, who was busy with other customers, showed the rings and another man then buzzed to be allowed in.’
- ‘Selby-based Detective Sergeant Dave Pegg said the intruder pushed the shop assistant aside, although no weapon was seen.’
- ‘One Witham shop had an under-age shop assistant selling alcohol.’
- ‘His mother Lisa, 41, a shop assistant reported him missing at around 8.10 pm.’
- ‘A shop assistant watched in shock as a thief posing as a customer grabbed money from the till before running off.’
- ‘Mrs Glead, a part-time shop assistant, said the latest development ends a four-year wait to nail Timbrell.’
- ‘The shop assistant says hello and says she likes my sweater.’
- ‘Bosses at the York Dungeon were left scratching their heads after a shop assistant sold a real skull to a customer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.