Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A board with a step-shaped profile used to guide the motion of a plane relative to a workpiece to ensure accurate planing.
- ‘The edges were planed, using stereotype planes on an iron shooting board.’
- ‘But I did manage to fix the problem on the existing shooting board and it's working pretty good.’
- ‘I would like to make a shooting board and would appreciate being pointed towards some good plans.’
- ‘Also notice the cleat at the front of the shooting board which serves to brace it to the bench edge.’
- ‘The first shooting board that I build will be a quick-and-dirty prototype with which to experiment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.