One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in reference to the wear on shoes through walking.‘you can save on shoe leather by giving us your instructions over the telephone’
- ‘However, I rarely wear out any shoe leather during my searches, because I do most of my hunting online.’
- ‘I always go with the team that's been hitting the pavement, working the asphalt, wearing out the shoe leather - the Street Smarts guys who know how to sell!’
- ‘Today, when the footstreets have been worn down with shoe leather for almost exactly 15 years, it is hard to recall how radical this proposal must have seemed.’
- ‘You have to go out and wear some shoe leather out and go and look at them for yourself.’
- ‘What would happen to my reporting if I wore out some shoe leather in the convention hallways or out on the streets?’
- ‘And as you wear down your shoe leather, remember this too: our immediate task is to put the government on notice that it has reached its sell-by date.’
- ‘In pure democratic fashion, members of the group will be wearing out shoe leather delivering information directly to Calgarians to gain support for ending fluoridation.’
- ‘They made telephone calls, they wore out the shoe leather, they did it the old-fashioned way.’
- ‘That may have something to do with the amount shoe leather he's worn out on doorsteps around Northern Ireland.’
- ‘And a number of people broke out the shoe leather, walking over the Brooklyn Bridge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.