Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A documentary film or programme that deals with subjects such as death or violence in a graphic and often sensationalized way.‘for those who relish every bloody detail, we now have shockumentaries’
- ‘The life and death of a 70s pop star is told as a bizarre shockumentary - with Barbie dolls standing in for actors.’
- ‘Other directors continued to mine the third world for shockumentary material, however.’
- ‘Is there a real shift here in political documentaries that are starting to become more like mockumentaries or shockumentaries.’
- ‘But there is a humanity here, and a sense of humor, both of which are lacking from 99% of the later shockumentaries.’
- ‘After the latest farce, there has been a national debate Stateside over the morality of reality-based so-called ‘shockumentaries’.’
1970s: blend of shock and documentary.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.