One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shock absorber on a motor vehicle.‘my exhaust is holed and my shockies are bruised’
- ‘As the gold was loaded, I heard the plate shockies of the Land Cruiser creak.’
- ‘He'd fitted his with oversize rear springs and the best shockies.’
- ‘The shockies on the truck are bottoming as the band heads off for its first Sydney gig.’
- ‘Might as well've got some bloody shockies while we were at it.’
- ‘It was a black panel van, a Holden, and it was jacked up with air shockies.’
- ‘He was well equipped with everything we needed to get the wheel off, the tire fixed, and the shockies adjusted.’
1970s: shortening of shock absorber.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.