Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A knife or razor used as a weapon.
- ‘Rosa Parks didn't make a shiv and start knifing people when she was arrested.’
- ‘And it makes me wonder: They stick the shiv in the ribs of their richest and most enthusiastic backers.’
- ‘We all want to be decent, human beings, and not stick a shiv in the formerly bloated hillbilly heroin junkie, but that sympathy is misplaced.’
- ‘At that, he withdraws a shiv and runs the crude blade in a slow, deliberate arc from the top of his brow to his chin as the guards rush and tackle him.’
- ‘She gave everybody the shiv before they gave it to her.’
- ‘This wasn't a forgivable tiny piece of eggshell, but a large wall of shell that looked like a shiv a bird might carve in prison.’
- ‘They always shed crocodile tears and call the other side's attacks vicious and beyond the pale while they are sticking the shiv in as hard as they can.’
- ‘What if I got a shiv in the ribs for all my trouble?’
- ‘Getting his hands on the first weapon he finds, he pulls a shiv, or a ‘homemade’ knife out of an inmate.’
- ‘She did, I will say this, fashion a shiv out of the lamb shank.’
- ‘You collect the material and create the shiv you fight with!’
- ‘And then Dole paid him back by going public about the phone call and digging the shiv in a little deeper.’
- ‘And it was all scary, because she had a lot of plastic bags with her, and I didn't know if there was maybe something pointy in one of them, like a shiv with my name on it.’
- ‘Blades are his specialty - the shiv, the ice pick, the Flora Dora.’
- ‘For those who like more direct courses of action, getting your hands on a shiv or another weapon will probably be the first thing you want to do.’
Probably from Romany chiv ‘blade’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.