One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dress with a collar and button fastening in the style of a shirt, typically cut without a seam at the waist.
- ‘Besides the usual suspects of cargo pants and combat shorts, look out for shirts with army-like detail and even shirt dresses for women.’
- ‘This summer, keep the shirt dress above the knee.’
- ‘I have a black button-up shirt dress with three-quarter sleeves that I bought 5 years ago, and it always gets compliments, though it is one of the simplest items I own.’
- ‘It just happens - you'll find yourself relying more and more on that A-line shirt dress in your closet, or straight pants with a small percentage of Lycra.’
- ‘The film star got into terrible trouble after wearing a skirt with a Japanese flag pattern, but American women are welcomed to don shirt dresses with American flag prints.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.