One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dress with a collar and button fastening in the style of a shirt, typically cut without a seam at the waist.
- ‘It just happens - you'll find yourself relying more and more on that A-line shirt dress in your closet, or straight pants with a small percentage of Lycra.’
- ‘Besides the usual suspects of cargo pants and combat shorts, look out for shirts with army-like detail and even shirt dresses for women.’
- ‘The film star got into terrible trouble after wearing a skirt with a Japanese flag pattern, but American women are welcomed to don shirt dresses with American flag prints.’
- ‘I have a black button-up shirt dress with three-quarter sleeves that I bought 5 years ago, and it always gets compliments, though it is one of the simplest items I own.’
- ‘This summer, keep the shirt dress above the knee.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.