Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Gather (an area of fabric or part of a garment) by means of drawn or elasticized threads in parallel rows.‘a swimsuit with a shirred front’
pleat, shirr, pucker, tuck, fold, corrugate, ruffle, crimp, crease, scrunch upView synonyms
- ‘Aside from pushing up and squeezing together, ruffles and shirring add some dimension to make you look bigger.’
- ‘By shirring the sleeves and quilting the cuffs the moiré blended well with the brocade pattern.’
- ‘An early shirred rug with a soft, faded palette of multicolored flowers that was once riotously bold hangs in the principal bedroom.’
- ‘In one case I got as far as the building's entryway, which was being used to store bags of shirred fabric in pink-and-purple plaid.’
- ‘Strapless or V-neck tops, corsets and kimonos with shaped waists fit the bill, while ruched or shirred details can also help create shape and a lean line.’
- ‘Instead of getting too lost in my suddenly changed world, I remember she was wearing a green and blue plaid dress with some pastel shirring on the bib area, black Mary Janes and blue tights.’
- ‘The process of shirring, gathering and tucking took over, but these techniques did not solve its basic architectural problem.’
- ‘We shirred the plaid between bands of the solid.’
- ‘She opened her show with business wear, starting with a beautifully fitted navy wool jacket with shirred collar and cuffs paired with a pencil skirt.’
- ‘The chiffon shirred strapless bodice curved naturally into her body, and the satin skirt spilled over the floor.’
- ‘Rosie's bath picks up the bedroom's palette in the pastel yellow wallpaper scattered with flowers and a soft shirred fabric that conceals the contents in the vanity's tall cabinets.’
2US Bake (an egg without its shell)‘my breakfast consisted invariably of shirred eggs, chocolate, and croissants’
- ‘Silver lids were lifted to reveal English-style bacon, shirred eggs, salmon quiche studded with caviar, and a selection of summer fruits and berries served in an elegantly carved melon.’
- ‘When I get around to shirring an egg, I'll try this.’
- ‘This recipe for shirring eggs in ham cups provides an elegant way to serve ham and eggs to a large group.’
- ‘Variations of the basic shirred egg may include the addition of herbs, cheese, and/or cream.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.