One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
dodger, truant, absentee, habitual absentee, malingerer, layabout, loafer, idlerView synonyms
- ‘I'd rather just loudly insist that people who favor war go fight in it themselves or be damned as showboaters and shirkers.’
- ‘Whatever the detail of the debates over incapacity benefit, there is no doubt that his sympathies do not lie with those he would consider shirkers.’
- ‘He don't have time for those what don't care to work, and he'd sooner drown you than put up with idlers or shirkers.’
- ‘And if the socialist shirkers riot, shoot them!’
- ‘To stand for the shirkers, stand strong in their place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.