Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) a non-metropolitan county (in existence since 1974).
- ‘Plans to revive traditional shire county names has received a favourable response in Westmorland.’
- ‘On three other questions, Wiltshire was the second best shire county, and on two more it came third.’
- ‘He said: ‘North Yorkshire will continue to be one of the lowest taxing shire counties in England, with only two other county councils having lower tax levels.’’
- ‘This decision limited the extent of transfer of resources from the shire counties to metropolitan districts.’
- ‘That is why thousands of Tory Party functionaries and supporters in their traditional shire county heartlands have turned their attention to building the Countryside Alliance.’
- ‘We have got used unfortunately over the years to see the Government dragging funds from the shire counties towards the metropolitan areas - it looks like this is happening again.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.