One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a non-metropolitan county (in existence since 1974).
- ‘This decision limited the extent of transfer of resources from the shire counties to metropolitan districts.’
- ‘That is why thousands of Tory Party functionaries and supporters in their traditional shire county heartlands have turned their attention to building the Countryside Alliance.’
- ‘On three other questions, Wiltshire was the second best shire county, and on two more it came third.’
- ‘He said: ‘North Yorkshire will continue to be one of the lowest taxing shire counties in England, with only two other county councils having lower tax levels.’’
- ‘We have got used unfortunately over the years to see the Government dragging funds from the shire counties towards the metropolitan areas - it looks like this is happening again.’
- ‘Plans to revive traditional shire county names has received a favourable response in Westmorland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.