One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The office of a shipping agent or shipping master.
- ‘After scrambling onto a lifeboat she made her way to the White Star Line shipping offices which owned the Titanic.’
- ‘After working for ten years as a clerk in a shipping office and a book-keeper in an accountancy firm, he entered Coventry Drama School in 1971.’
- ‘It was the administrative centre for the district, with a busy port, a trading post, handsome brick shipping offices, and a hospital.’
- ‘‘It's absolutely vital that I make my connection at Place X,’ he would decree from time to time, usually to the manager of a sweaty shipping office.’
- ‘His first paid position was clerk in a shipping office, with responsibility for sending coals to Newcastle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.