One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official presiding over the signing-on and discharging of seamen.
- ‘List C: Account of crew of foreign going ship, to be delivered at the end of the voyage to the shipping master at the ‘above’ port.’
- ‘To this day, most shipping masters continue to receive fees of office, on an agreed scale of tariff.’
- ‘These varied activities of fishing and shipping masters, reflecting different levels of social rank, were represented by different guild marks.’
- ‘Well, back to making the rounds of the shipping masters and hope for a ship.’
- ‘Traditionally, shipping was done for profit and shipping masters were entrusted with other persons’ assets (the ship and her cargo).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.