One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fellow member of a ship's crew.
- ‘A fellow shipmate, good sailor, good man, good friend.’
- ‘Don't get me wrong, I think stealing from your shipmates or fellow Marines is one of the worst things you can do and you should fry.’
- ‘A true seaman is always ready to act in time to avoid injury to his ship, his shipmates or himself.’
- ‘And when a ship need underway replenishment or a shipmate goes overboard, this highly-qualified team s launched into action.’
- ‘They had saved their ship and saved their shipmates, he told them.’
- ‘More than 60 years later, a wreath from his family rests on his grave at Lyness cemetery, where he was the sole officer buried alongside shipmates from the ranks.’
- ‘Whispering soon ensued, and the crew member led my shipmates to a little boat tied up to the side of the ship.’
- ‘Already seen as shipmates by Wasp crew members, they will soon be American citizens.’
- ‘Loose lips sink ships - Don't discuss work related matters with your shipmates in public places such as hotels, restaurants or on trains or buses.’
- ‘First-time sailors from land-locked states become shipmates with experienced sailors.’
- ‘Every day you report for duty, you have an opportunity to positively influence your shipmates - seize each day shipmates!’
- ‘We climbed into oilskins, life jackets and clip-on safety harnesses, and became fellow shipmates for the day-night crossing.’
- ‘In this climate of fear and shortages the support and generosity shown to the Harare branch by their fellow shipmates in the UK has meant a great deal.’
- ‘They are strong young men and women, and they are serving their ship and their shipmates, and I couldn't be more proud of them.’
- ‘For clergy, this often means that pastors are to be the captains of the ship leading their shipmates into the glorious future.’
- ‘What we really feared was letting down our shipmates - and our fellow citizens.’
- ‘Whether it's our service to our nation, service to our Navy, or service to our shipmates, it is a transforming experience to be part of it.’
- ‘Again, a little personal intervention into our shipmates ' careers can go a long way in helping them appreciate service in the Navy on a daily basis.’
- ‘His head popped over the rail and when he noticed Pearl there by herself he called for help from his fellow shipmates.’
- ‘I'm just passing through to kill time till my shipmate fixes the ship that she damaged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.