One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship's captain.
- ‘He was a Harwich shipmaster and First World War hero executed by the Germans.’
- ‘Later in his life, Palmer also won wealth and fame as a pioneer clipper shipmaster and designer.’
- ‘The shipmasters knew the way only by memory, and would never tell where the people really came from.’
- ‘The mainland Northlanders all tended to be brutal - shipmasters, raiding the coasts of nearby kingdoms, pillaging and burning.’
- ‘They were carried before the Governor, with the shipmaster and the supercargo.’
- ‘The origin of the museum was the East India Marine Society, founded in 1799 by shipmasters and supercargoes who had collectively amassed 4300 objects made in the Orient.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.