One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The river was mostly a trickle and the going fairly tough, with much scrambling over large rocks, but the ships of the desert took it well.’
- ‘For Lawrence the camel was indeed a ship of the desert.’
- ‘Trying to focus, he saw the familiar homely face of what was fondly and sometimes not so fondly known as the ship of the desert: a camel.’
- ‘It must have been a long journey for these ships of the desert.’
- ‘Thanks to God for creating camel, the ‘ship of the desert’, with all its saintly traits of survival.’
- ‘But biotechnologists believe the ship of the desert may still have much to offer humanity due to its remarkable resistance to disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.