Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] A painful acute inflammation of the nerve ganglia, with a skin eruption often forming a girdle around the middle of the body. It is caused by the same virus as chickenpox.Also called herpes zoster
- ‘Adults, particularly older ones or those with a run-down immune system, can however also contract shingles (herpes zoster) from a child with chickenpox.’
- ‘The medical name for chickenpox is varicella zoster and for shingles it is herpes zoster.’
- ‘Herpes zoster, commonly called shingles, means a girdle in the old sense of a belt.’
- ‘It may also help relieve pain from nerves damaged by shingles or diabetes.’
- ‘Therefore, if the vaccine afforded protection for life, there would be a very strong argument in favor of universal vaccination - no chicken pox and no shingles.’
- ‘The herbs in this formula all have active antiviral properties and are effective against herpes, shingles, flu, warts, and other viral infections.’
- ‘With age, the weakening immune system may allow the virus to re-emerge as shingles: a painful rash that causes pain lasting for months or years.’
- ‘If you have a history of cold sores, shingles or herpes, your doctor can prescribe a medication to prevent these infections after laser surgery.’
- ‘Herpes is caused by herpes simplex viruses, which are similar to the viruses that cause chickenpox and shingles.’
- ‘As you get older or if your immune system gets weak, the chickenpox virus may escape from the nerve cells and cause shingles.’
- ‘However, 10% to 20% of people who've had chickenpox develop shingles later in life.’
- ‘Doug's symptoms might also have been caused by herpes zoster or shingles virus which can also affect the facial nerve.’
- ‘If you've ever had chicken pox, you may suffer from shingles or herpes zoster.’
- ‘When the virus reaches the skin, it produces a rash and blisters, known as shingles (herpes zoster).’
- ‘Chickenpox and shingles are caused by a virus called the Herpes Zoster virus.’
- ‘Each year, 600,000 or more Americans are diagnosed with shingles, a painful skin disease caused by a reactivation of the chickenpox virus.’
- ‘Chickenpox and shingles were known to be related, but how?’
- ‘If your immune system is weakened and you come into contact with someone who has active chickenpox or shingles, you should tell you GP.’
- ‘Recruits were asked about prior chickenpox or shingles, with details recorded.’
Late Middle English: representing medieval Latin cingulus, variant of Latin cingulum girdle, from cingere gird.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.