One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pad worn to protect the shins when playing soccer, hockey, and other sports.
- ‘Will all the boys interested in training please bring boots and shin pads with them.’
- ‘Wear shin pads (football type) as your shins will get heavily bruised’
- ‘The only difference was that one had a bow and dagger and the other had a sword and wore metal shin pads.’
- ‘It's time to get your boots out of the shed boys and your shin pads out of the press because the Mayo League is starting up again soon.’
- ‘The coach was angry, ‘Why didn't you wear your shin pads?’’
- ‘The lucky participants must bring appropriate footwear, shin pads, clothing and a packed lunch.’
- ‘I was wearing shin pads but the way that the tackle came in wasn't really straight on.’
- ‘No caring or sensible parent would send their child to play football without shin pads, hockey without a gum shield or the non-swimmer without armbands.’
- ‘Yes that was one of the options, and she actually had field player kit, in other words a skirt, and shin pads and socks and an A-shirt.’
- ‘Cricket boxes, shin pads, and gloves are all examples of equipment that should be worn to prevent injury.’
- ‘The shot, literally, went through the shin pad.’
- ‘Anyone who was kicked with an old fashioned boot knew that they had been kicked and because of this thick shin pads were worn to protect the shins.’
- ‘All participants have to bring proper footwear boots or trainers, shin pads, warm-up top, packed lunch daily, sun protection cream/clothing, lots of fluids.’
- ‘So when I arrived at secondary school I didn't have any football boots or shin pads.’
- ‘We did this with no helmets, no knee pads, no shin pads.’
- ‘I had on white knee high socks, bulging with the presence of shin pads.’
- ‘All hurlers must have helmets and shin pads and all players must have the proper club attire, blue shorts, blue and gold stockings.’
- ‘‘Next time I'm going to bring shin pads, elbow pads, arm pads, everything pads,’ I grumbled as I rubbed in anti-bruise cream to my skin.’
- ‘Playing in the local league with cardboard for shin pads, he dreams of making it out of the ghetto and into the big time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.