One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pad worn to protect the shins when playing soccer, hockey, and other sports.
- ‘The lucky participants must bring appropriate footwear, shin pads, clothing and a packed lunch.’
- ‘The coach was angry, ‘Why didn't you wear your shin pads?’’
- ‘Cricket boxes, shin pads, and gloves are all examples of equipment that should be worn to prevent injury.’
- ‘No caring or sensible parent would send their child to play football without shin pads, hockey without a gum shield or the non-swimmer without armbands.’
- ‘All hurlers must have helmets and shin pads and all players must have the proper club attire, blue shorts, blue and gold stockings.’
- ‘‘Next time I'm going to bring shin pads, elbow pads, arm pads, everything pads,’ I grumbled as I rubbed in anti-bruise cream to my skin.’
- ‘So when I arrived at secondary school I didn't have any football boots or shin pads.’
- ‘Will all the boys interested in training please bring boots and shin pads with them.’
- ‘Anyone who was kicked with an old fashioned boot knew that they had been kicked and because of this thick shin pads were worn to protect the shins.’
- ‘Wear shin pads (football type) as your shins will get heavily bruised’
- ‘It's time to get your boots out of the shed boys and your shin pads out of the press because the Mayo League is starting up again soon.’
- ‘I was wearing shin pads but the way that the tackle came in wasn't really straight on.’
- ‘All participants have to bring proper footwear boots or trainers, shin pads, warm-up top, packed lunch daily, sun protection cream/clothing, lots of fluids.’
- ‘The only difference was that one had a bow and dagger and the other had a sword and wore metal shin pads.’
- ‘The shot, literally, went through the shin pad.’
- ‘Playing in the local league with cardboard for shin pads, he dreams of making it out of the ghetto and into the big time.’
- ‘We did this with no helmets, no knee pads, no shin pads.’
- ‘Yes that was one of the options, and she actually had field player kit, in other words a skirt, and shin pads and socks and an A-shirt.’
- ‘I had on white knee high socks, bulging with the presence of shin pads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.