One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The bartender looked at her shiftily, but then nodded.’
- ‘He looked shiftily around the room quickly, ‘Just this and that, ya know?’’
- ‘Sandwiched between the ceremonial swords and bric-a-brac, teenage boys gaze shiftily at the firearms on display in a Manchester shop.’
- ‘I was a bit confused about what she meant and so was moving awkwardly, some might say shiftily, but no-one challenged me.’
- ‘He looked around shiftily and heaved a deep sigh.’
- ‘Each time I picked up a book I looked shiftily around, holding it out in front of me at head height, so as not to appear like a person about to steal.’
- ‘She looks about shiftily and whispers: ‘Round the back.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.