One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Work comprising recurring periods in which different groups of workers do the same jobs in relay.
- ‘They approached the railways and said that they would like to go on a salary, and no longer wished to be paid penal rates for overtime, shift work, or for working on Christmas Day.’
- ‘Decisions about who should be allocated on-site parking have been based on a scoring system that incorporates shift work, late evening work and clinical commitments.’
- ‘It included 105 job losses and a cutback in shift work, with some of the large staff numbers recruited in the past year expected to be let go first.’
- ‘As you might expect in a clerical award it is rare to have shift work, but if there is to be shift work it is going to be by agreement and that agreement would encompass all those matters.’
- ‘Nurses can work together and with supervisors to determine best practices for transforming the work environment as it relates to work hours and shift work.’
- ‘The things you have to do to try and keep friends when working shift work.’
- ‘If he works a six-day week including shift work and overtime, this brings his total salary up to £20,000.’
- ‘They know how to work shift work, how to meet quotas, concentrate on tasks and work cooperatively with others.’
- ‘A particular type of effort is required when workers have to work in dangerous, dirty, unpredictable, strenuous, stressful jobs that involve shift work and other similar demands.’
- ‘Management wanted to impose a raft of changes, including the introduction of shift work without penalty rates.’
- ‘There is also definitely a relationship between shift work and diabetes, she said.’
- ‘Half work shift work and 56 per cent do regular overtime.’
- ‘Workers have to work 12 hours a day and do shift work.’
- ‘The idea was to revamp the 330,000-person staff to reduce costs, shift work to lower-cost countries, and strip out bureaucracy.’
- ‘The workers are demanding a cut in hours, particularly for shift work, and are calling for a 33.6-hour week instead of the current 34.8.’
- ‘Later, at the end of a two-hour emergency meeting, the post workers voted to begin shift work in Belfast tomorrow when deliveries are expected to resume.’
- ‘When you work shift work, your free time rarely (if ever) matches up with when everyone else has free time to be out having fun.’
- ‘The agreement reportedly includes salary increase, improvements to shift work and weekend work benefits, and improvements to extended health care benefits.’
- ‘He says any worker doing shift work, or working long hours, needed time to adapt before retiring.’
- ‘The incentive, then, for every air hostess who is going to take a holiday - or on anyone who works variable shift work - is to work the maximum amount before taking any holidays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.