One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad shield-shaped bug which is typically brightly coloured or boldly marked. It emits a foul smell when handled or molested.Also called stink bug
- ‘The shield bugs were darting up and down the dandelion stems and into the seed heads.’
- ‘Although sometimes mistaken for beetles, shield bugs belong to a different group of insects, the Hemiptera.’
- ‘Sadly, the shield bugs, also known as stink bugs, tend to emit a foul odor when alarmed…’
- ‘Sometimes these vegetable bugs are confused with other shield bugs which are carnivorous and can be quite beneficial in the garden, preying on other pests.’
- ‘It is controlled by insecticides and also a predatory shield bug.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.