Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A broad shield-shaped bug which is typically brightly coloured or boldly marked. It emits a foul smell when handled or molested.Also called stink bug
- ‘Sometimes these vegetable bugs are confused with other shield bugs which are carnivorous and can be quite beneficial in the garden, preying on other pests.’
- ‘The shield bugs were darting up and down the dandelion stems and into the seed heads.’
- ‘It is controlled by insecticides and also a predatory shield bug.’
- ‘Although sometimes mistaken for beetles, shield bugs belong to a different group of insects, the Hemiptera.’
- ‘Sadly, the shield bugs, also known as stink bugs, tend to emit a foul odor when alarmed…’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.