One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pony of a small hardy rough-coated breed.
- ‘His father also used to keep shire horses and Shetland ponies.’
- ‘Getting closer, I saw they were ponies, Shetland ponies.’
- ‘The special day will also include a ‘Parade of the Horse’, featuring different breeds such as thoroughbreds, dray horses and Shetland ponies.’
- ‘In total there were about 40 mounted huntsmen, women and children with three carriages drawn by Shetland ponies lending their support.’
- ‘Horse thieves snatched two Shetland ponies from a field in Kingswood, leaving their owner and her six-year-old grandson distraught.’
- ‘A treasured Shetland pony which has helped a teenager with her learning and physical difficulties has been stolen from a field near Swindon.’
- ‘Did you ever play polo on a Shetland pony as a kid?’
- ‘He is a bit taller than her now, as she is a Shetland pony and he is a Welsh Moorland.’
- ‘A woman has been fined £250 and ordered to pay over £5,000 costs after being found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a Shetland pony.’
- ‘Shire horses and Shetland ponies drew crowds to the horse section while the showjumpers displayed their skills in the ring.’
- ‘True to form, he looked completely out of his depth, like a Shetland pony thrown into the Kentucky Derby.’
- ‘But there's nothing like a chance to stroke and cuddle an animal for a seven-year-old, and my daughter enjoyed stroking a Shetland pony which had a permanently sad expression.’
- ‘Sheep, cattle and pigs were bred for their meat, milk, skins and bone, and there were a few ponies of small size - but larger than the modern Shetland pony.’
- ‘The family's home was surrounded by green fields and picturesque woods, and as children, Daniel and his brother and sisters learned to ride, on their own Shetland pony.’
- ‘On the very same day that I first deliberated the issue, I happened to notice that a Shetland pony and a zebra had mated successfully and even showed off their shapeless dingy offspring on the front pages of a number of Scottish newspapers.’
- ‘Like the Shetland pony, the Sheltie was bred with a thick coat to protect them from the harsh climate.’
- ‘Well we've compared them with other populations, with the Shetland pony for example, and with horses from Turkey and from Egypt, to take some kind of a sample of horses from the same part of the world today.’
- ‘At the horse fair on Saturday, the lad started to mess with a tiny, two-month old foal, not realising how protective and hot-tempered the mother, a Shetland pony, was.’
- ‘How could I forget chasing down Thistle, the runaway Shetland pony who also happened to have a rider on her back at the moment?’
- ‘The owner of a five-year-old Shetland pony fears she will have to have her beloved horse put down if she cannot raise enough money for medical treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.