One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘His jurisdiction under that sheriffship embraced not only that county, but also the counties of Ross and Caithness, and he was empowered to appoint deputies for certain divisions of his sheriffdom.’
- ‘Having shown ‘bravery and spirit’ in this office, Agnew was shortly after appointed Sheriff of Wigtoun, the sheriffship to be a hereditary gift.’
- ‘After the loss of Normandy, King John paid the ransom for Gerard and awarded him several sheriffships.’
- ‘Thereafter the country was organized into a series of principal sheriffships with sheriff substitutes designated for every county town.’
- ‘The fruit of their union, William, acquired the lordship of Nithsdale and the sheriffship of Dumfries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.