Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Coat (iron or steel) with zinc by heating it in contact with zinc dust.‘special galvanized or sherardized nails are available’
- ‘All metal fittings and fencing materials should be galvanised, zinc plated, sherardised or otherwise treated to prevent rusting.’
- ‘The principal uses of zinc dust are in paints and sherardising (See under Zinc Coatings).’
- ‘The sherardized coatings are almost entirely made up of iron-zinc alloy phases.’
- ‘Other techniques include electroplating, mechanical plating, and sherardising, painting with zinc-rich coatings and zinc spraying or metallising.’
- ‘Requirements for cleaning and pre-treatment of the galvanized or sherardised steel products prior to powder coating are also specified.’
- ‘What is sherardising, and of what benefit are sherardised nails?’
- ‘The sherardizing process again uses zinc, this time in the form of zinc dust mixed with an inert filler which, together with the parts to be coated, is placed in a sealed container.’
- ‘Metallic zinc coatings are applied to prepared steel surfaces by galvanizing, electroplating, mechanical plating, sherardising, painting with zinc-rich coatings and zinc spraying or metallising.’
- ‘We stock an extensive range of fasteners, all are available in various plated finishes including galvanized, sherardized and BZP.’
- ‘Appendices give guidance on those requirements to be agreed between the interested parties and on sherardizing in general.’
- ‘Only ~ 107 years to improve upon sherardizing (Sherard O. Cowper-Coles’ process of packing steel with zinc powder & ceramic media in a sealed container, then heating)!’
- ‘Iron is also coated with zinc by a method in which the iron is first covered with the zinc dust and then baked; an alloy is formed at the surface, the resulting product being known as sherardized iron.’
Early 20th century: from the name of Sherard Cowper-Coles (1867–1936), English inventor, + -ize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.