One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of minced meat under a layer of mashed potato.
- ‘Early pies had pastry tops; but modern pies may have a topping of something else (e.g. the mashed potato topping of shepherd's pie or cottage pie) or even be topless (as in the USA).’
- ‘Typical products affected by the alert are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.’
- ‘The band remember supporting the Rolling Stones in Germany and discovering that Keith always has a shepherd's pie with baked beans on top.’
- ‘They spurn soya shepherd's pie and nut cutlets, preferring the more exotic polenta with wild mushrooms or Thai stir-fry.’
- ‘The meat was melt-in-the-mouth gorgeous and the shepherd's pie had fluffy mashed potato and flavoursome meat.’
- ‘It has many other culinary uses: it can be added to mince for a different-tasting shepherd's pie.’
- ‘They chose healthier options and selected favourites such as roast dinners, homemade shepherd's pie and pasta dishes.’
- ‘My shepherd's pie with pork, soya sauce, vegetables and dill goes down well.’
- ‘The lunch specials of yore include macaroni cheese, steak pie, shepherd's pie and chips and five varieties of Crombie's sausages.’
- ‘This well-packaged collection of recipes includes such familiar dishes as potato salad, shepherd's pie, stuffed mushrooms, lemon meringue pie, and even grilled cheese sandwiches!’
- ‘Tonight it's shepherdess pie, which is shepherd's pie without the meat.’
- ‘And my daughters prefer them to shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pudding or vegetable stew.’
- ‘Typical products are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.’
- ‘Add vegetables to meals - chop finely and add to pizza, casseroles, shepherd's pie and home-made burgers.’
- ‘We asked parents and children about their preferences and they came back to us with things like shepherd's pie and lasagne, jacket potatoes with different fillings and pasta with home-made sauces.’
- ‘A typical evening meal for me is pasta or a shepherd's pie.’
- ‘For a Fifties child, food meant Campbell's soup, baked potatoes, shepherd's pie, stringy spinach, etiolated carrots, and toad-in-the-hole.’
- ‘For supper, I make a shepherd's pie with organic beef and potatoes from my box.’
- ‘There are the traditional shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie, stuffed roasted baby chicken, Cornish buttered rock lobster, leek and potato Cornish pasties, broccoli and cauliflower bake.’
- ‘Children enjoy dishes ranging from homemade shepherd's pie and Chinese-style chicken noodles to a couscous salad bar and fresh vegetables.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.