Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of minced meat under a layer of mashed potato.
- ‘Early pies had pastry tops; but modern pies may have a topping of something else (e.g. the mashed potato topping of shepherd's pie or cottage pie) or even be topless (as in the USA).’
- ‘Typical products are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.’
- ‘Typical products affected by the alert are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.’
- ‘There are the traditional shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie, stuffed roasted baby chicken, Cornish buttered rock lobster, leek and potato Cornish pasties, broccoli and cauliflower bake.’
- ‘For a Fifties child, food meant Campbell's soup, baked potatoes, shepherd's pie, stringy spinach, etiolated carrots, and toad-in-the-hole.’
- ‘For supper, I make a shepherd's pie with organic beef and potatoes from my box.’
- ‘Add vegetables to meals - chop finely and add to pizza, casseroles, shepherd's pie and home-made burgers.’
- ‘This well-packaged collection of recipes includes such familiar dishes as potato salad, shepherd's pie, stuffed mushrooms, lemon meringue pie, and even grilled cheese sandwiches!’
- ‘Tonight it's shepherdess pie, which is shepherd's pie without the meat.’
- ‘My shepherd's pie with pork, soya sauce, vegetables and dill goes down well.’
- ‘It has many other culinary uses: it can be added to mince for a different-tasting shepherd's pie.’
- ‘The band remember supporting the Rolling Stones in Germany and discovering that Keith always has a shepherd's pie with baked beans on top.’
- ‘And my daughters prefer them to shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pudding or vegetable stew.’
- ‘They chose healthier options and selected favourites such as roast dinners, homemade shepherd's pie and pasta dishes.’
- ‘The meat was melt-in-the-mouth gorgeous and the shepherd's pie had fluffy mashed potato and flavoursome meat.’
- ‘We asked parents and children about their preferences and they came back to us with things like shepherd's pie and lasagne, jacket potatoes with different fillings and pasta with home-made sauces.’
- ‘Children enjoy dishes ranging from homemade shepherd's pie and Chinese-style chicken noodles to a couscous salad bar and fresh vegetables.’
- ‘They spurn soya shepherd's pie and nut cutlets, preferring the more exotic polenta with wild mushrooms or Thai stir-fry.’
- ‘The lunch specials of yore include macaroni cheese, steak pie, shepherd's pie and chips and five varieties of Crombie's sausages.’
- ‘A typical evening meal for me is pasta or a shepherd's pie.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.