One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white-flowered Eurasian plant of the parsley family, with long needle-shaped fruit.
Scandix pecten-veneris, family Umbelliferae
- ‘Adults live on flower nectar and pollen and are especially fond of lantana and shepherd's needle.’
- ‘Prints of the cornflower and shepherd's needle are available from the English Nature Press Office.’
- ‘The report suggests that the species most at risk are the plants associated with arable habitats - including highly threatened species such as cornflower and shepherd's needle.’
- ‘Nationally threatened and important species that used to occur in Birmingham and the Black Country include shepherd's needle, cornflower and corn cockle.’
- ‘Flowers, such as cornflowers, scarlet pimpernel and shepherd's needle, used to be a common sight in the county's cornfields 50 years ago, but today many are rare, or even extinct.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.