One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese thought) the spiritual element of a person's psyche.
- ‘In classical Chinese medicine, shen is the reservoir of vital essence in semen, and kui means deficiency.’
- ‘The heart houses the shen, or spirits, and the shen's presence radiates and shines from a person's eyes and face.’
- ‘The shen are indestructible and immutable; they transcend Yin and Yang.’
- ‘In this formula, ginseng calms shen.’
- ‘Since storage is a yin function, it is primarily the Heart blood and yin that have the function of nourishing the Heart and providing the material basis for the Heart to house the shen.’
- ‘The shen may also be disturbed by the heat buildup in the chest.’
- ‘This is from an unknown source, but emphasizes the importance of treating the shen.’
- ‘Other side-effects include abnormal dreams involving either the shen / heart spirit or the hun/ethereal soul.’
From Chinese shén.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.