One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Accommodation for elderly or disabled people consisting of private independent units with some shared facilities and a warden.
- ‘I used to work as a warden in sheltered housing and I estimate that roughly half the residents I met are on the same gravy train.’
- ‘There will also be a medical centre set over three floors, 50 units of sheltered housing, 20,000 square feet of office space and a day nursery.’
- ‘Connaught Court in Fulford was opened in 1971 to provide residential care, nursing care, sheltered accommodation and care for elderly mentally frail people.’
- ‘Other residents may be diverted towards sheltered housing, nursing homes or smaller, more modern hostel accommodation.’
- ‘I must point out that there is no council policy to house people in sheltered accommodation below retirement age.’
- ‘A popular pub looks set to be demolished and replaced with sheltered housing for the elderly after councillors gave the go-ahead to developers.’
- ‘Bradford Council's housing division is at present negotiating with the health authority owners of the hospital for its purchase to be used as sheltered accommodation for the elderly.’
- ‘The warden of Edith's sheltered accommodation has had to go in to hospital for stitches.’
- ‘Councillors pointed out that the entrance to sheltered accommodation for elderly people shares the lane.’
- ‘There is hardly a corner of life where the older person's demand for council services is not reduced or even eliminated when taking private sheltered accommodation.’
- ‘For 18 years she has worked as a warden for Humphrey Booth Housing which provides sheltered accommodation for the elderly.’
- ‘Elderly residents relying on sheltered accommodation are living in fear because often they only have a warden for half an hour a day.’
- ‘A plan to open a hostel for homeless young people in an area close to sheltered housing for the elderly has prompted anger among residents.’
- ‘As Britain's largest provider of private sheltered housing, we know many pensioners rely on the post office as their source of cash.’
- ‘He had kicked in a ground-floor window of a flat at sheltered housing for the elderly and made off with a TV and other valuables.’
- ‘The re-routing also robbed hundreds of elderly people in sheltered housing on Sydenham Hill of a vital bus route.’
- ‘A building that previously provided sheltered accommodation for the elderly, on the Collingwood Estate, is also being developed to create new housing units.’
- ‘It provides sheltered housing for elderly people.’
- ‘Humphrey Booth Housing is the oldest charity in Salford and rents sheltered accommodation to elderly tenants.’
- ‘He said residents would be given first choice on vacancies at other sheltered accommodation, or housing supported by the council's new mobile health service.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.