One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Accommodation for elderly or disabled people consisting of private independent units with some shared facilities and a warden.
- ‘A plan to open a hostel for homeless young people in an area close to sheltered housing for the elderly has prompted anger among residents.’
- ‘Councillors pointed out that the entrance to sheltered accommodation for elderly people shares the lane.’
- ‘Humphrey Booth Housing is the oldest charity in Salford and rents sheltered accommodation to elderly tenants.’
- ‘The re-routing also robbed hundreds of elderly people in sheltered housing on Sydenham Hill of a vital bus route.’
- ‘Elderly residents relying on sheltered accommodation are living in fear because often they only have a warden for half an hour a day.’
- ‘He said residents would be given first choice on vacancies at other sheltered accommodation, or housing supported by the council's new mobile health service.’
- ‘There is hardly a corner of life where the older person's demand for council services is not reduced or even eliminated when taking private sheltered accommodation.’
- ‘A popular pub looks set to be demolished and replaced with sheltered housing for the elderly after councillors gave the go-ahead to developers.’
- ‘For 18 years she has worked as a warden for Humphrey Booth Housing which provides sheltered accommodation for the elderly.’
- ‘It provides sheltered housing for elderly people.’
- ‘I used to work as a warden in sheltered housing and I estimate that roughly half the residents I met are on the same gravy train.’
- ‘He had kicked in a ground-floor window of a flat at sheltered housing for the elderly and made off with a TV and other valuables.’
- ‘A building that previously provided sheltered accommodation for the elderly, on the Collingwood Estate, is also being developed to create new housing units.’
- ‘I must point out that there is no council policy to house people in sheltered accommodation below retirement age.’
- ‘Bradford Council's housing division is at present negotiating with the health authority owners of the hospital for its purchase to be used as sheltered accommodation for the elderly.’
- ‘There will also be a medical centre set over three floors, 50 units of sheltered housing, 20,000 square feet of office space and a day nursery.’
- ‘As Britain's largest provider of private sheltered housing, we know many pensioners rely on the post office as their source of cash.’
- ‘Other residents may be diverted towards sheltered housing, nursing homes or smaller, more modern hostel accommodation.’
- ‘Connaught Court in Fulford was opened in 1971 to provide residential care, nursing care, sheltered accommodation and care for elderly mentally frail people.’
- ‘The warden of Edith's sheltered accommodation has had to go in to hospital for stitches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.