One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A line of trees or shrubs planted to protect an area, especially a field of crops, from fierce weather.
- ‘It's a very good idea to start with a shelter belt as this will protect valuable plants in your garden from the ravages of wind and possibly salt-laden air.’
- ‘Many in the village do not believe it is ‘more appropriate’ to replace an oak wood which forms the village shelter belt with mixed saplings.’
- ‘Now is the time to plant hedges, specimen trees and shelter belts.’
- ‘In went several hundred eucalypts, as shelter belts and windbreaks, and for firewood and fenceposts in years to come.’
- ‘The reason I think there are changes in, for example, North Dakota in America is that there's been better land use practices, shelter belts, minimum tillage.’
- ‘As well as enhancing the look of the islands, trees would provide much-needed shelter belts for homes, crops and animals.’
- ‘While few urban gardens suffer from the effects of exposure, in the suburbs, country, and coastal areas it pays to plant a shelter belt.’
- ‘The first of my seriously damp patches to be tackled this year is a small area shaded by a shelter belt of ancient hawthorn and alder, and sandwiched between the original homestead and a steep bank that leads up to a meadow.’
- ‘They are not just dumped anywhere, but considerations have to be made as to the prevailing winds, the local shelter belts and any crops that might tempt the bees away.’
- ‘Each shelter belt helped to break the wind on the plains.’
- ‘Wind patterns along forest walls and shelter belts probably differ from patterns within closed stands.’
- ‘Green has broken one of the first rules of coastal gardening by not creating a shelter belt.’
- ‘There were two great pheasant hunts - an early October hunt on pen raised birds in West Virginia and a fabulous few days in mid-November in South Dakota for tough, mature roosters hanging around corn fields and broad shelter belts.’
- ‘‘I think initially the smaller-scale schemes were beneficial as shelter belts but this particular scheme seems to me to be too big,’ he said.’
- ‘His farm manager has ‘got to prioritise the shelter belt modification’ he says, frowning.’
- ‘Iain advises anyone making a garden to begin by planting a shelter belt.’
- ‘In cooler parts of the temperate zone, or on exposed sites, we need maximum wind protection (tree shelter belts, closely spaced buildings of constant height, main streets perpendicular to the prevailing wind).’
- ‘A good shelter belt provides some protection into the field for up to 30 times its height.’
- ‘Just like these folks have been saying, check your shelter belts, check your buildings.’
- ‘He said the third generation family property was using trees as shelter belts and for managing runoff.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.