Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The length of time for which an item remains usable, fit for consumption, or saleable.‘the shelf life of fresh pasta’figurative ‘the new strategy will be lucky if it has a shelf life of more than a few months’
- ‘Most have a shelf life of about two years, which includes the time the product sat in the store.’
- ‘In such a state, a nation's paper money has a shelf life like a fresh egg or a jar of mayonnaise.’
- ‘The most refreshing and healthy drink of coconut water is available in sachets with a shelf life of a year.’
- ‘The ingredients have a shelf life of 3 months in most cases, so use fresh ingredients.’
- ‘These days books have about as long a shelf life as yoghurt, here one minute and consigned to the library stack the next.’
- ‘Liquid anthrax has a shelf life of three years, after which it turns into sludge.’
- ‘Mass production and consumption means a shorter shelf life, for music as well for consumer goods.’
- ‘They are currently particularly looking for platelet donations as these only have a shelf life of five days.’
- ‘The shelf life of most bands nowadays is a year at best.’
- ‘By placing them in the freezer, you will add another year to their shelf life.’
- ‘I think it's a case of reinvention due to the shelf life of the term.’
- ‘Seeds have a limited shelf life; they're only viable for a certain number of years.’
- ‘Drugs and alcohol had seeped into their lifestyle and they were already past their shelf life.’
- ‘If you expect the consumer to buy a car, a long shelf life and a lot of reading and re-reading will help.’
- ‘Gasoline has an average shelf life of about six months, so refresh your supply regularly.’
- ‘Fresh blood products have a short shelf life so we always require a steady number of donors.’
- ‘Just ensure that it has been stored hygienically, and note that flavoured milk has a shelf life of 45 days.’
- ‘They are innovative in both packaging concepts and flavours and have an extended shelf life of 21 days.’
- ‘The only drawback is that polyurethane glues have a shelf life of only about one year.’
- ‘Your finished products have a shelf life of around one month to six weeks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.