One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Covered with or enveloped in a sheet of cloth.‘the sheeted body’
- ‘I turned in my bed and the covers fell off the sheeted mattress onto the floor and I shivered slightly at the loss of the warmth that the blankets had afforded me.’
- ‘Their mother stepped over the sheeted body with a smile.’
(of rock) fissured or divided into layers, especially by faulting.‘drilling has shown a large, low-grade sheeted vein’
- ‘It is often assumed that oceanic crust consists of a characteristic ‘layer-cake’ sequence of gabbros, sheeted dykes and lavas, as found in many ophiolites.’
- ‘The ophiolite contains a complete igneous stratigraphy of serpentinized ultramafics, gabbro, sheeted dykes and pillow lavas, as described by Moores.’
- ‘This type of intrusion formed of numerous dykes is called a sheeted dyke complex.’
- ‘The boundary between the sheeted dykes and pillow lavas is tectonic, and because of shearing, the pillow basalts are locally poorly preserved.’
- ‘We have mapped the entire Spontang ophiolite region where we recognize a complete upper mantle sequence of harzburgite and crustal gabbroic, sheeted dykes and pillow lava succession.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.