One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Covered with or enveloped in a sheet of cloth.‘the sheeted body’
- ‘Their mother stepped over the sheeted body with a smile.’
- ‘I turned in my bed and the covers fell off the sheeted mattress onto the floor and I shivered slightly at the loss of the warmth that the blankets had afforded me.’
(of rock) fissured or divided into layers, especially by faulting.‘drilling has shown a large, low-grade sheeted vein’
- ‘We have mapped the entire Spontang ophiolite region where we recognize a complete upper mantle sequence of harzburgite and crustal gabbroic, sheeted dykes and pillow lava succession.’
- ‘The ophiolite contains a complete igneous stratigraphy of serpentinized ultramafics, gabbro, sheeted dykes and pillow lavas, as described by Moores.’
- ‘The boundary between the sheeted dykes and pillow lavas is tectonic, and because of shearing, the pillow basalts are locally poorly preserved.’
- ‘It is often assumed that oceanic crust consists of a characteristic ‘layer-cake’ sequence of gabbros, sheeted dykes and lavas, as found in many ophiolites.’
- ‘This type of intrusion formed of numerous dykes is called a sheeted dyke complex.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.